As a business we have been very aware of the increasing skills gap within the engineering sector for some years now. Finding suitable candidates capable of full toolmaking and final fitting has been a challenge to say the least.
We have now reached a point where we are keen to expand our current team of five full time toolmakers to ensure that the upcoming transitions of retirement and moving the business forward is as smooth as possible. And knowing the challenges that young people now face in finding a good and reliable career path we have decided to take on our first apprentice!
We have chosen to work alongside SIGTA Ltd who are a not for profit organization with charitable status who have delivered national and international training projects. SIGTA will assist us in the recruitment stages and throughout the duration of the apprenticeship giving support to both ourselves and the individual apprentice.
The apprenticeship that we are offering to the right candidate will see them achieve an Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Engineering with the opportunity to learn the following: –
• Set and operate conventional machine tools
• Programme, set and operate computer controlled machine tools
• Produce high precision complex components, mould tools, jigs and fixtures
• Correct use of fixtures/chucks/work-holding devices
• Machining different types of materials and their properties
• Setting and checking cutting tools
• Measurement of components (metrology)
• Reading 2D drawings
• Working in both metric and imperial
• Use of cutting fluids when machining
• How to work safely in engineering
• Strip down and refurbish mould tooling
• Assembly and fitting of mould tooling
On completion of their apprenticeship the successful candidate will be a fully qualified toolmaker with a full-time position within our manufacturing business.
If this vacancy is of interest to you or someone you know full details and application can be found on the National Apprenticeships website: https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeship/572049
Our team is very excited about this new chapter and we are hopeful that this will be the first of many apprentices that we take on over the coming years.